Applications for 2023 BGLC Tertiary Education Grant will open May 2023.
The BGLC Tertiary Education Grant provides assistance with tuition fees for full-time undergraduate students enrolled to attend an accredited tertiary Institution in Jamaica.
ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION CRITERIA:
- Jamaican citizen.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.75 on the 4.0 scale.
- Fulltime Undergraduate Student confirmed to attend or currently enrolled at an accredited local tertiary institution.
- Complete the online Application Form and provide supporting documents to substantiate the application.
NOTE: Have your national ID, transcript (dated no earlier than December 21) and your completed essay ready to upload before you start the online application.
- Topic: “Parents play a critical role in guiding children (under 18years) to avoid gambling. Write an essay outlining strategies that parents should employ to protect children under 18 years from the potential harms of underage gambling.”
he Reference must have known the applicant for at least 1 year and may be from any of the following categories:
- Justice of the Peace; Officer of a Government Ministry or Agency (SEG 1 & above)Consular Officer; Attorney-at-law; Member of Parliament; Parish Councillor; Bank Manager (CEO, Branch Manager); Credit Union Manager (CEO, Branch Manger); Clerk of Courts; Marriage Officer; Army Officer (Major & above); Dental Surgeon; Doctor of Medicine; Police Officer (Gazetted Ranks); Veterinarian; Principal (Primary, Secondary & Tertiary Educational Institutions.
Drivers Licence, Passport, or Voters ID
School IDs are not considered to be an official form of national ID
- Entering 1st year:
- Acceptance Letter if entering first year.
- Latest CAPE results.
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students:
- Latest available transcript reflecting grades for at least 1 semester prior to your academic year – dated no earlier than December 2021.
2022 Tertiary Education Grant FAQs
CSEC/CAPE certificates are sufficient documentation for applicants entering the 1st year of their degree programme, along with the acceptance letter. (Provisional or confirmed)
An official transcript is the University's certified statement of your academic record. The official “paper transcript” is printed on security-sensitive paper and contains the University seal and signature of the University Registrar.
An unofficial transcript is one that can be easily downloaded and printed by students. Unofficial transcripts do not have a college seal or registrar's signature.
The unofficial transcript may only be provided as a temporary substitute until the official transcript is available. If a student is selected for the grant, the award will not be disbursed until the official transcript is provided. When an applicant is chosen as a recipient of the BGLC Tertiary Education Grant they must submit the official transcript before the grant is confirmed and funds disbursed. There will be a deadline within which the official transcript must be provided.
BGLC makes every effort to disburse funds by the end of October. However, the process of updating student accounts with the Grant is dependent on several factors: 1. The time it takes for schools to confirm students’ registration to BGLC 2. The time it takes for schools to provide an invoice to BGLC based on the confirmed registered students 3. The time it takes for schools to update student accounts once the disbursement is received from BGLC.
The Reference must have known the applicant for at least 1 year and may be from any of the following categories:
- Justice of the Peace
- Officer of a Government Ministry or Agency (SEG 1 & above)
- Consular Officer
- Member of Parliament
- Parish Councillor
- Bank Manager
- Credit Union Manager
- Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Officer
- Army Officer (Major & above)
- Dental Surgeon
- Medical Practitioner
- Police Officer (Gazetted Ranks)
- Passport Officer
- Principal (Primary, Secondary & Tertiary Educational Institutions
The BGLC Tertiary Education Grant application deadline is July 15, 2022.
BGLC tries to advise applicants about the outcome of their application on August 31. Notifications are sent by email to the email address given in the application.
The BGLC Education Grant may not be used for any other expenses.